Organisers will fly to the US in an attempt to reverse three-time world supercross champion James Stewart’s withdrawal from this month’s AUS-X Open in Sydney.
Stewart was expected to race against two-time world champion Chad Reed and other leading Australian riders in the November 28-29 event at AllPhones Arena.
“Stewart was contracted to race both November 28 and 29 events and we are shocked to hear from his management this morning he is no longer racing,” said the organisers in a statement.
“AUS-X Open management will fly to the US this morning to resolve this situation and will continue to update fans attending the event with any progress that is made.
Stewart, who twice jammed his wrist in separate incidents last month, was withdrawn by his Yoshimura Suzuki Factory Racing team who said they wanted him to focus on getting ready for the 2016 season-opening race in Anaheim, California in January.
“We were looking forward for him to get as many gate drops as possible before Anaheim but we just lost three weeks out of our program,” team manager Mike Webb said.
“We feel the amount of time the trip to Australia would consume would be too much at this point.”
Stewart is still expected to race in the Bercy-Lille Supercross in France on November 14th and 15th.
“I’m bummed for all my fans and sponsors I won’t be able to make it to Australia,” Stewart said.
“The best thing about being back racing has been experiencing all the fan support first hand.
“I was really looking forward to doing that in Australia but I have to look at the big picture and we’re two months from A1 and I need to show up there healthy and prepared.”
AUS-X Open management weren’t satisfied with the team’s reasoning though, and will now attempt to enter negotiations to ensure the 29-year-old competes alongside fellow marquee rider Chad Reed.