Group One, $1 million, 2500m, set weights for fillies
* First run in 1861, the same year as the inaugural Melbourne Cup, and won by Palestine
* Run over 12 furlongs (2400m) until 1972
* There were only two starters in the race in 1864, 1868, 1870 and 1877
* Bart Cummings holds the training record with nine winners while Bobbie Lewis holds the jockeys’ record of seven
* The fastest time in the race was 2:31.20 run by Hollow Bullet in 2004.
Briseis (1876), Furious (1921), Chiquita (1949), Evening Peal (1955), Light Fingers (1964), Toltrice (1972), Denise’s Joy (1975), Surround (1976), Scomeld (1978), Rose Of Kingston (1981), Research (1988), Slight Chance (1992), Grand Archway (1998), Serenade Rose (2005), Miss Finland (2006), Samantha Miss (2008) and Mosheen (2011).
* Dawnie Perfect will mark Jim Cassidy’s final Group One ride before his retirement. Cassidy has won the VRC Oaks five times, most recently aboard Dear Demi in 2012
* Ambience will be striving to become the 36th filly to win Wakeful Stakes-VRC Oaks double. The last was Kirramosa in 2013
Sacred Eye is a steady favourite ahead of Ambience whose price firmed following her emphatic win in the Wakeful Stakes. Jameka is also well fancied after a last-start win over the males in the Vase at Moonee Valley.
Article from JustHorseRacing.com.au