Supido over the odds for Moir Stakes 2017

Trainer Mick Kent is expecting a better performance from sprinter Supido in the Moir Stakes at Moonee Valley.

Kent admitted he was disappointed with Supido’s last-start fifth in the McEwen Stakes at Moonee Valley on September 9.

It was the horse’s first run since his win in the Monash Stakes at Caulfield in July and in hindsight Kent said the six-year-old may have been underdone for his first-up assignment.

The Cranbourne-based horseman is expecting a better effort in Friday night’s Group One Moir Stakes over 1000m at the first meeting for the season under lights at Moonee Valley.

“Luke (Nolen) thought they didn’t go very hard in the race and so he got moving early and was pushed off the track,” Kent said.

“But I was a bit disappointed with the horse’s effort.

“I thought he was better than that.”

Kent said after settling at the tail of the field he expected Supido to pick up his rivals.

“I appreciate it’s hard to run those horses down when you give them a start like that,” Kent said.

“But I kept him very fresh for the race thinking he might have needed to be fresh, but I might not have done enough with him.

“He loomed but just didn’t quite finish it off.

“His times were as good as the winner’s apart from the first furlong.”

Supido’s only other performance at Moonee Valley resulted in a win over 1200m in February last year.

Nolen will again ride the sprinter on Friday night when he will again be pitted against Russian Revolution and Heatherly who ran the quinella in the McEwen Stakes.

 

Article from JustHorseRacing.com.au

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!