Greyhound racing has been immediately suspended for the next seven days in NSW in the wake of a shock state government decision to ban the sport from next year.
In a statement released on Thursday, Greyhound Racing NSW said the decision to ban racing from July 1 next year would rock everyone involved with the sport.
“Today is an extremely sad day for the NSW greyhound racing industry and the people involved in it,” a GRNSW spokesman said in a statement.
Premier Mike Baird announced earlier on Thursday the sport would be banned after releasing a report which found evidence of systemic animal cruelty within the industry.
GRNSW said they had taken decisive action to recover community trust in the wake of revelations of live-baiting and other cruel practices.
“Around our state there are many thousands of responsible participants who treat their greyhounds like family who are involved in the greyhound racing industry either through training, racing or supporting the sport,” the spokesman said.
“These people were as dismayed as others by the exposure of completely unacceptable and inhumane practices within greyhound racing.
“That is why they supported the significant reforms made by Greyhound Racing NSW over the last 12 months.”
GRNSW said they fully co-operated with the Special Commission of Inquiry who delivered the damning report.
They said they would continue to advocate and support GRNSW members as greyhound racing winds down across the state.
Article from JustHorseRacing.com.au