2000 metres $1 million weight-for-age
* First run in 1869 when won by Glencoe and for many years a traditional lead-up to the Melbourne Cup
* Carbine (1890), Wakeful (1901-02-03), Gloaming (1924), Phar Lap (1930-31-32), Peter Pan (1934), Ajax (1938), Tranquil Star (1942, 1944-45), Flight (1946), Comic Court (1949-50), Rising Fast (1954-55), Tulloch (1960), Tobin Bronze (1966), Dulcify (1979), At Talaq (1986), Better Loosen Up (1990), Let’s Elope (1991), Lonhro (2002) So You Think (2010) and Happy Trails (2014)
* Four-year-olds have a strong record, winning 10 of the past 25
* Fawkner, Pornichet, Gailo Chop and last year’s Mackinnon winner Happy Trails are all backing up a week after contesting the Cox Plate
* Nine of the past 11 Mackinnon Stakes winners contested the Cox Plate at their previous start
WHAT THE KEY PLAYERS ARE SAYING:
“I rode her in work on Monday and she still seems to be bouncing, fit and well. They’re going to add the blinkers to her this week and hopefully that can get her to where she should be.” Jockey Damian Lane on Rising Romance.
“It’s taken a lot longer to get him fit than I would have liked. It’s been a slow process and hopefully we’ll have him close to the mark on Saturday.” Trainer John O’Shea on Contributer.
“I prefer Flemington, a big track. The ground is firm but I prefer the conformation.” Antoine De Watrigant trainer of French horse Gailo Chop.
“I’m quite confident the horse will run very well. I’m just hoping it doesn’t rain too much.” Trainer Andreas Wohler on the German galloper Magic Artist.
Article from JustHorseRacing.com.au