GEORGE MAIN STAKES
Group One, $500,000, 1600m, weight-for-age
* A weight-for-age race over the famous Randwick mile first run in 1945. Traditionally an important lead-up race to the Epsom Handicap
* Shannon (1946-47), Kingston Town (1981-82), Emancipation (1983), Vo Rogue (1989), Lonhro (2003) and More Joyous (2010)
THIS YEAR’S FIELD
* After trainer Kris Lee said Le Romain is unlikely to start, seven are expected to line up on Saturday.
* Champion mare Winx is shooting for 11 straight victories in her final Sydney race this spring.
* IfJapanese import Tosen Stardom causes a boilover it will be premier Victorian trainer Darren Weir’s first Sydney success. Remarkable given he trained a record 347.5 winners last season.
FINISHING ORDER: View our George Main Stakes Predicted Finishing Order
“If she’s right the other horses have to improve to beat her,” Winx’s trainer Chris Waller
“To get a headline act and to be a part of it, it comes with a great deal of responsibility … but I have so much confidence in her,” Winx’s jockey Hugh Bowman
“He’s got a little bit of a hurdle ahead of him in Winx, but in saying that, the horse is in really fine form. We’re hoping he’ll get a nice run and set himself up for the Epsom Handicap” – Godolphin assistant trainer Darren Beadman on Hauraki
“I’d love for him to go forward in a small field and get away with some easy sectionals” – Great Esteem’s trainer Stuart Webb on plans to lead the race
THE EARLY MONEY
* If Winx stays solid at $1.15 it will be the shortest starting price of her career. Her closest rivals are Japanese import Tosen Stardom and Godolphin’s Hauraki at $11.
* Le Romain is next pick at $15 but likely to in Friday’s Cameron Handicap at Newcastle instead of the George Main.
* Favourites have a healthy record, winning seven of the past 11 editions
* Mares don’t fare well with only three – Streama in 2013, More Joyous in 2010 and Ma Chiquita in 1986 – winning the race over the last three decades
* Winx can give Chris Waller his fourth George Main Stakes win in the last five years
Article from JustHorseRacing.com.au