Flamberge has continued preparations for his shot at an historic second-straight Group One Goodwood with a jump-out at Flemington.
The six-year-old will get his chance to become the first back-to-back winner of The Goodwood (1200m) in Adelaide since Musket Belle in 1911-12.
He won last year under the care of trainer Peter Moody and has added two more Group One wins this season in the Oakleigh Plate and William Reid Stakes.
Now trained by Mathew Ellerton and Simon Zahra, Flamberge was given a freshen-up after his TJ Smith Stakes failure in Sydney last month, his first start for his new stable.
Zahra believes the gelding is in the right order for Saturday week’s Group One sprint after finishing second in his 800m hit-out on Friday.
“His trial was good and he had a nice blow,” Zahra said.
“He’s ready to go to Adelaide.”
After spending time at owner David Moodie’s property after the TJ Smith, Flamberge has been back at Flemington for the past few weeks.
“He’s just fitted into the routine nicely and had a couple of good hit-outs,” Zahra said.
“Now we can back off a bit and he can head into The Goodwood nice and fresh.”
Zahra said Flamberge’s form showed he performed best with his races spaced.
Flamberge is at $15 in an early market for The Goodwood which is run at set weights and penalties.
“It’s not going to be an easy mission but he’s a good seasoned campaigner and under the conditions of the race he doesn’t get weighted out of it,” Zahra said.
Big Money, another Goodwood hopeful, continued his preparations for his interstate trip with a solo gallop on his home track before racing at Scone on Friday.
Article from JustHorseRacing.com.au