* First run in 1960 and won by Karina. Group One since 1979
* Held on Victoria Derby day until 2007 when it was switched to the final day of the Melbourne Cup carnival
* Black Caviar won by four lengths in 2010, her first Group One. It was Ben Melham’s first and only ride on the champion mare
* Notable winners: Vain (1969), Century (1973), Special (1988), Takeover Target (2004), Miss Andretti (2007), Black Caviar (2010,11) and Buffering in 2013.
* Chautauqua is an odds-on favourite to remain unbeaten this campaign. He has won the McEwen, Gilgai and Manikato Stakes
* Buffering will contest the race for a fifth time. He won it in 2013 and was runner-up to Black Caviar in 2011.
* Terravista aiming to go back-to-back after defeating Chautauqua 12 months ago
* Six mares have won in the past 20 years with Black Caviar the most recent. Three mares run Saturday – Srikandi, Bring Me The Maid and Lumosty.
Chautauqua is set to start the shortest priced favourite since Black Caviar won at $1.04 in 2011. He is $1.60 in early markets with Terravista ($8) the only other runner under double figure odds.