* First run in 1863.
* Run under handicap conditions until 1979, weight-for-age since, except for 1983-86
* 2000m since 1964. Previously run over 3600m, while 2800m in 1963
* Bart Cummings won the race 13 times
* Tim Whiffler (1867), Malua (1886), Spearfelt (1927), Welkin Prince (1962/63), Craftsman (1965/66), Leilani (1975), Ming Dynasty (1978/80), Dulcify (1979), Hyperno (1981), Bonecrusher (1987), Vo Rogue (1989/90), Better Loosen Up (1991), Let’s Elope (1992), Saintly (1996), Octagonal (1997), Northerly (2001/03), Lonhro (2004), Makybe Diva (2005)
* Favourite Bow Creek will start from the outside gate in the field of 11
* Jockey Michael Walker will try to win the race for the second year in a row when he partners imported stayer Almoonqith
* Preferment is chasing a third Group One win at Flemington having won the 2014 Victoria Derby and 2015 Turnbull Stakes
* Lindsay Park trainers David Hayes and Tom Dabernig trained the quinella last year and have three runners this year
WHAT CONNECTIONS ARE SAYING
* “If it was a handicap I would have said he’s there with a very big chance, but I think under weight-for-age conditions he may be a length or two off them” – Awesome Rock’s co-trainer Leon Corstens.
* “There’s never such thing as an easy Group One. I’ve got a healthy respect for all the competition, but I wouldn’t change her for any of them” – trainer Nigel Blackiston on Suavito
* “This was his goal, so he’s quite fit now and everything is going well” – trainer Paul Beshara on Happy Trails
Article from JustHorseRacing.com.au