SOME FACTS AND FIGURES ABOUT THE $1.5 MILLION GROUP ONE STRADBROKE HANDICAP (1400M) AT EAGLE FARM ON SATURDAY:-
* First run in 1890 when won by Pyrrhus, the Stradbroke is now Brisbane’s flagship race.
SOME BIG NAMES TO WIN IT
* Wiggle (1958), Winfreux (1965), Cabochon (1968), Divide And Rule (1970), Daybreak Lover (1984, 1986), Campaign King (1988), Rough Habit (1991-92), Dane Ripper (1997), Private Steer (2003), Thorn Park (2004), Black Piranha (2009-10)
* 1980 winner Ducatoon was later stripped of the title after returning a positive swab.
* Rough Habit won his second Stradbroke in 1992 – not only carrying topweight but coming from barrier 18.
* The most successful Stradbroke trainer is the late Bart Cummings who won the race four times with Campaign King (1988), Robian Steel (1989), Never Undercharge (1993) and Dane Ripper (1997)
* The Bjorn Baker-trained Music Magnate is looking to become the first horse since Campaign King to complete the Doomben 10,000-Stradbroke double
WHAT THE MAIN PLAYERS ARE SAYING
* “We’ll see how much magic the Magic Man has from that barrier (14)” – trainer Chris Waller on Counterattack to be ridden by Joao Moreira
* “She has worked and trialled there a couple of times and she does like the track, but she likes to get her toe into the track and I hope they keep up the water on it” – trainer Ciaron Maher on the favourite Azkadellia and the Eagle Farm track
* “I would like it on the soft side, so please water the track” Two Blue’s trainer Kristen Buchanan
Article from JustHorseRacing.com.au