World golf’s young sensation Jordan Spieth has confirmed he will return to defend his title at the Australian Open, the event where his brilliant streak began.
The 21-year-old American world No.2 will tee up at The Australian in Sydney from November 26-29.
He’ll be returning to the same course where he shot one of the greatest rounds in Australian Open history – an eight-under-par 63 – to win by six shots last year.
Spieth says that tournament set him up for his Masters win in April and he since won the US Open before falling just one stroke short of the three-man playoff at the British Open early Tuesday.
Had he managed a third major in a row, he would have joined the great Ben Hogan as the only players to do so in a calendar year. He would also have had a chance at golf’s first-ever modern day grand slam at the upcoming US PGA Championship.
The Texan won Tiger Woods’ charity event in California the week after the Australian Open and also won two regular US PGA Tour events in his sensational run this year.
“I am absolutely thrilled to return to Sydney,” said Spieth in a Golf Australia statement.
“It has been an amazing six months since I left Australia.
“I can’t wait to come back and hopefully defend the Stonehaven Cup.”
Spieth was world No.11 when he won the Australian Open but he is now closing in fast on Rory McIlroy for the No.1 spot.
Australian Open tournament director Trevor Herden was understandably delighted to have Spieth signed up.
“Jordan was a massive hit at The Australian last year – nobody who saw him play will forget his final round, in particular,” Herden said.
“But more than just play good golf Jordan has been a tremendous ambassador for the tournament and has sung its praises in some pretty lofty places since he left, including at Augusta after he won The Masters.”