Dual cancer survivor Jarrod Lyle will take the rest of the US PGA Tour season off after failing to make significant inroads this year.
The Victorian, who sensationally returned to top level golf after beating leukaemia for a second time in his life, has made the decision to pull the plug and better prepare himself for another crack in the 2015-16 season.
Lyle started this season late last year with promise, making his first two cuts, but in 2015 the 33-year-old has struggled, missing seven straight cuts before finally making the weekend at this week’s Crowne Plaza Invitational.
Unfortunately with more than 78 players making the cut the event was subject to a secondary cut on Saturday where Lyle once again fell short.
In his 10 events since coming back Lyle has won $US66,145 ($A83,791), meaning he will need to earn $US217,680 ($A275,753) in his next 10 if he is to regain full playing privileges in the future.
Lyle insisted his break is not health-related, rather to give him the best possible chance of saving his job down the road.
“I need to stress that this decision has nothing to do with my recent illness – I am still healthy and cancer-free,” he said.
“As the year progressed, it has become increasingly obvious that I am simply not in a position to compete on the PGA Tour.
“My goal every single week out here, just like the rest of the field, is to play my best and to be competitive.
“Unfortunately I haven’t been in real contention in any of the 10 events I have played so far this season.
“At the moment, I am out here making up the numbers.”
Lyle will return to Australia with wife Briony and young daughter Lusi, with the aim to return at the 2015-16 season opening Frys.com Open in October.
“My family and I have had a tough road over the last few years, and now that my health has been given the all clear it is time to turn my attention fully to my career,” Lyle said.
“Just like I did whatever it took to fight for my life in the last few years, I am now going to do whatever it takes to fight for my job.”