Indian Premier League instigator Lalit Modi has admitted for the first time his involvement in a plot to overthrow world cricket’s establishment, according to the ABC.
The ABC quoted Modi as saying the organisation’s plan to recruit the world’s leading cricketers including Australian batsman David Warner has his endorsement.
The ABC’s Four Corners program will later on Monday screen an interview with Modi, who told the program: “We’re talking about another cricketing system.
“There is a blueprint out there, it has got my rubber stamp on it.
“I have been involved in it. I say it for the first time, I’ve been involved in putting that (blueprint) together.”
Modi was quoted as saying the plan to take on cricket’s establishment would cost several billion dollars but “I don’t think it would be a problem to get that … into action”.
“The plan that I have put together is a very detailed plan,” Modi said.
“It’s not a plan that’s come off the cuff, it has been taking years and years and years in the making.”
Modi had previously denied any involvement with the rebel organisation, which plans a new body to replace the International Cricket Council.
Leading Australian batsmen such as newly-retired Australian captain Michael Clarke and opening batsman Warner were targets of the new entity and could be offered as much as $50 million to sign up, according to newspaper reports in June.
In a radio interview, Warner said any such offer would be tempting.
“You can’t rule it out, you can’t say no, because … we love playing the sport we do but we also love getting paid for what we do,” Warner told Sky Sports Radio in June.
“I’m just being honest in saying it’s not out of the question, and I’d certainly have to think about it.”
Modi was fired from his job as IPL commissioner in 2010 and has been dogged by allegations of misconduct ever since.
In 2013 he was banned for life from playing any role in cricket administration by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
Last week a warrant for his arrest was issued by a court in Mumbai at the request of India’s economic intelligence agency, the Enforcement Directorate, which is investigating allegations of money laundering linked to a lucrative television deal.
Modi has not been charged and denied all allegations against him.