England stun Black Caps to win first Test

England have completed a remarkable win to beat New Zealand by 124 runs in the first Test at Lord’s, with Christchurch-born allrounder Ben Stokes central to the victory.

New Zealand, set 345 to win on the fifth and final day, were dismissed for 220 as England won the 100th Test between the two countries to go 1-0 up in this two-match series ahead of the second Test at Headingley on Friday.

For England, without a permanent head coach following the sacking of Peter Moores and coming off the back of a disappointing 1-1 series draw in the West Indies, this was just the morale boost they needed.

New Zealand, who had earlier collapsed to 3-12, were again in dire straits at 5-61 after man-of-the-match Stokes had taken two wickets in two balls.

But the gritty BJ Watling, whose 59 was his second fifty of the match, and the dashing Corey Anderson (75), kept England at bay during a sixth-wicket stand of 107.

However, both batsmen fell in quick succession to leave New Zealand 7-174.

New Zealand were rocked from the outset of their second innings, losing openers Martin Guptill and Tom Latham for ducks without a run on the board in a match where, for the most part, they had been on top.

For New Zealand, it was all starting to become horribly reminiscent of their last Test at Lord’s, in 2013, when they slumped to 68 all out chasing 239.

The collapse continued when Broad, who took a Test-best 7-44 against New Zealand at Lord’s two years ago, had Ross Taylor plumb lbw for eight.

New Zealand took the score on to 61 before Stokes, who on Sunday scored the fastest Test century at Lord’s, off just 85 balls, struck twice in two balls.

Kane Williamson, who made 132 in the first innings, fell for 27 when he guided Stokes to Joe Root in the gully.

And next ball New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum played on to a Stokes inswinger.

Given a roar by the crowd worthy of Ian Botham or Andrew Flintoff, Stokes, the son of former Kiwi rugby league international Ged Stokes who came to England as a 12-year-old, charged in again.

But Anderson survived the hat-trick delivery, allowing the ball to pass his stumps.

Watling was removed when he gloved debutant fast bowler Mark Wood through to wicket-keeper Jos Buttler, before part-time offspinner Root trapped dangerman Anderson lbw and the final three wickets fell cheaply.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!