A contrite Chris Rogers has apologised for his bungled attempt to start a tour group.
Rogers found himself in hot water with Middlesex and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) after trying to on-sell tickets to the Lord’s Test as part of an unauthorised package.
The Australia opener and business partner Tom Scollay were able to secure an allotment of extra tickets from Middlesex because both played for the club.
However, those tickets were cancelled after the county realised they were being re-sold.
“I was open and honest in everything I did,” said Rogers.
“There was no intent to deceive, or anything like that. I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong.
“We were trying to do the right thing – apologies if it’s come out badly.”
The cheapest package was advertised for STG1,756 ($A3,570), while the most expensive – which included hotel accommodation in London, was priced at STG2,910 ($A5,916).
Rogers suggested he checked with both Middlesex and Cricket Australia (CA) about the personal venture.
“Everybody I spoke to – and I spoke to everyone and told them what I was doing – nobody suggested to me that I do it any other way,” he said.
“I think I was supposed to go through the ECB, but I went through Middlesex who are the people I know.”
CA is not sanctioning Rogers, noting it was an honest mistake.
“That’s probably why they’ve been so supportive of me, because I didn’t deceive anyone,” the 37-year-old said.
“They knew everything.”
Rogers admitted the saga had been somewhat of a distraction prior to the side’s opening tour match, which begins on Thursday night (AEST) in Canterbury.
“It’s been frustrating. It’s been a bit of a distraction, but cricket starts tomorrow really and I’m pretty good at just getting on with it,” he said.
“So I’m not too worried.”
Rogers hoped the misunderstanding would not impact his relationship with Middlesex, who he captains when not on international duty.