England allrounder Ben Stokes will arc up for the third Ashes Test, having voiced his disappointment over Australia’s conduct at Lord’s.
Alastair Cook and Jimmy Anderson spoke of their side’s cordial approach to the five-Test series earlier this month.
Firebrand Stokes is unlikely to be part of it on Wednesday, when the third Test starts at Edgbaston.
“I didn’t think I could get any more hyped up for a game of cricket, but the way they let us know they were on top didn’t sit too well as a player,” Stokes said.
“I’m not saying it’s the wrong way for them to go about it.
“Fair play, when you’re on top you can do what you want.
“There might be a little bit more in it this time. There will be a little bit more Ashes spice.”
Stokes has another source of angst he will be looking to put behind him this week, a woeful dismissal in England’s second dig at Lord’s.
The 24-year-old still can’t explain the run-out.
Having failed to slide his bat, one of the first lessons taught to any cricketer at any level, how could he?
“A brain explosion, I guess. A complete lapse of concentration,” Stoke told the Daily Mail.
“The amount of people who have said you wouldn’t even see that on a village green – and I get that.”
Stokes was caught short by a direct hit from Mitchell Johnson, the clear low point as England were skittled for 103 and lost by 405 runs.
He should have made his ground comfortably, but bizarrely failed to reach out with the willow.
“As I walked back I was thinking – what were you doing, you idiot,” Stokes said.
“It was stupid what I did. You wouldn’t expect that from anyone, let alone an international cricketer. Rule one is ground your bat.”
Wary of the vitriol likely to be directed his way, Stokes shielded himself from social media.
“I deleted the Twitter app on my phone for a couple of days afterwards. I didn’t want to read any of the keyboard warriors,” he said.