The number 21 proved lucky for Chris Rogers, who benefited from a dropped catch on day one of Australia’s opening tour game in England.
The tourists reached 0-108 against Kent at lunch on Thursday, when Rogers and Shaun Marsh staked their claim to open in the first Test.
Both were largely untroubled at St Lawrence Ground.
Rogers provided the only chance of the morning session while on 21, but the edge was put down by the slips cordon.
Kent’s generosity started much earlier in Canterbury.
Captain Sam Northeast won the toss but opted to bowl on what looked a belter.
Rogers adopted the role of chief aggressor in the partnership, powering to 50 in 89 balls as he put this week’s ticket saga behind him.
The left-hander was 53 at the meal break, while Marsh was 45.
The pair are vying for the right to open alongside David Warner in Cardiff, where the Ashes start on July 8.
Rogers was sidelined during the recent two-Test series in the West Indies due to concussion, with Marsh stepping up the order in his place.
Warner was rested from the tour game against Kent, giving both candidates a chance to impress at the top of the order.
Coach Darren Lehmann suggested runs in this tour game, plus the side’s hit-out against Essex next week, could shape the selectors’ decision.
“Players in form go a long way to ticking the boxes and getting in the side,” coach Darren Lehmann told radio station SEN, when asked about the battle between Marsh and Rogers.
“So these two tour games are very important for the whole squad.
“They’re not headaches as such, I think they’re great debates.
“We’ve got such good depth now, so we’ve just got to pick the best XI for that particular game.”
Rogers noted pre-match he was taking nothing for granted.
“It’s going to be tough and I’m going to have learn my place back,” the 37-year-old said.