Zorko, Cameron booked in Giants win

Jeremy Cameron faces an anxious wait after being reported in Greater Western Sydney’s 39-point NAB Challenge win over Brisbane Lions on the Gold Coast on Sunday.

And Lions vice-captain Dayne Zorko’s AFL round one hopes also lie with the match review panel after being booked for striking.

Cameron had his number taken midway in the third term for a late bump on Rhys Mathieson in the 1.17.11 (122) to 2.9.11 (83) win in front of just 1,504 fans.

The young Lion was forced from the field with a suspected cheekbone fracture.

Instead of fretting, Cameron cut loose from impressive defender Daniel McStay after the incident, finishing with four goals.

Just like his namesake, Giants coach Leon Cameron did not show it if he was concerned about the incident.

“Initially when I saw what happened I thought Jeremy was trying to smother or something, but until I have a good look at the replay I’m not sure,” he said.

“Whether it played on Jeremy’s mind I’m not too sure but in terms of performance, it didn’t disturb his game.”

Moments later Zorko was pinged for striking Giants co-captain Phil Davis.

Lions coach Justin Leppitsch would not speculate on the incident but did seem resigned to losing at least one player ahead of their March 27 season opener against West Coast.

Mathieson did not return to the field after the hit and was sent for scans.

Leppitsch was more hopeful about his other injury concern, Jaden McGrath, who suffered a shoulder injury in the sixth minute.

“Jayden is not as bad as first thought,” Leppitsch said.

“He might play round one.”

But Leppitsch’s main fitness concern was a player who didn’t even feature in the rain-hit final pre-season match – prized midfielder Dayne Beams.

Leppitsch said Beams had suffered knee tendinitis coming back from a shoulder injury.

“It is a bit uncertain the end date unfortunately,” he said.

Overall the signs were good for the Giants ahead of their March 26 season opener against Melbourne.

Three-time Geelong premiership winner Steve Johnson kicked three goals in his second straight game for the Giants before being rested for the second half.

“He was a little bit touch and go to play because he had gastro …but he wanted to have another half a game,” Giants coach Cameron said.

And leading ruckman Shane Mumford (26 hitouts, one supergoal) emerged unscathed after being cleared of an ankle niggle.

Mumford played the first quarter of last week’s win over Sydney after feeling some pain in his reconstructed ankle.

“He was asking for a bit more ground time and I think he played 83 per cent, which is a great hitout for him,” Cameron said.

“He’s ready to go.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!