Senior Richmond players have driven a decision for the AFL team to boycott Triple M over the Eddie McGuire-Caroline Wilson controversy.
As the Magpies board backed McGuire as president on Tuesday night, it emerged that Tigers players are starting an open-ended action against the radio station.
Tigers star Jack Riewoldt added that they might continue to not do interviews with the radio station beyond this Saturday’s game against Brisbane.
McGuire, North Melbourne chairman James Brayshaw and fellow commentator Danny Frawley have all apologised for comments they made about Wilson on Triple M.
The incident happened during the station’s coverage of the Queens Birthday match on June 13.
McGuire said the prominent AFL journalist should be the only participant in next year’s Freeze MND ice bath slide and added he would donate $50,000 to the fundraiser if she was held under.
Brayshaw and Frawley enthusiastically endorsed his comments and while the comments were intended as a joke, they have attracted widespread criticism.
“There have been discussions held at the footy club in terms of how we felt about it,” Riewoldt told AFL360.
“The club is pretty strong in its stance and our club is a real leader for supporting women’s rights.
“The football club is not going to partake in anything with Triple M this week … and it may continue on.”
Riewoldt said the idea came from a couple of senior Richmond players.
Club president Peggy Neal had already criticised McGuire, Brayshaw and Frawley, saying the Tigers were dismayed about the comments.
Meanwhile, the Magpies are nervously awaiting a decision from Holden about whether the car maker will continue as one of their key sponsors.
Holden said it is disappointed about the controversy and is reviewing the multi-million dollar sponsorship.
The deal includes naming rights for Collingwood’s administration and training headquarters near the MCG.