Port Adelaide’s AFL playing list doesn’t need sweeping changes to become competitive again, midfielder Ollie Wines says.
The Power officially fell out of finals contention with Saturday’s disappointing 67-point loss to Sydney, a result which has ramped up external pressure on the club’s list management strategy.
But unlike some critics who believe an overhaul at Alberton is badly needed, Wines believes there is still a premiership within the current crop.
“In terms of the playing group, we all want to be together,” Wines told reporters.
“We all work hard together and I don’t think we want to break up.
“From my perspective, I think we’re in it together for the long run.”
Coach Ken Hinkley has previously admitted there may be changes beyond the usual natural attrition at the end of an AFL season, depending on how Port finishes off the year.
While they are no longer the ‘it’ club they once were, Wines believes the Power is still an appealing destination for quality players, if they choose to target experienced heads in the summer.
“We’ve had a few blips along the radar in terms of results, but in terms of the club, I don’t think there’s a stronger club around,” he said.
“I think we’ve got really good, solid values, we’re a really close club and in terms of off-field, everything associated with the club, the (Magpies in the SANFL) and the family culture of the club.
“There’s not a more accommodating club in the league.”
Port takes on Melbourne at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.