Sydney Swans mull Talia’s next AFL step

Sydney are yet to reveal the next step in Michael Talia’s attempt to resurrect his AFL career.

Talia, who was arrested on July 17, avoided conviction on Thursday after pleading guilty to drug possession.

The 23-year-old, handed a 12-month good behaviour bond at Waverley Local Court, has been stood down from all club activities since he was caught with cocaine.

The Swans are yet to confirm when this indefinite punishment could end and Talia could potentially push for selection at NEAFL level.

Talia, who was traded to the Swans by Western Bulldogs last year, is unlikely to play at AFL level this year.

The Swans are third on the ladder, having banked 13 wins from the opening 19 rounds of the season.

Talia, who spent the first half of the season recovering from a serious foot injury, was stopped by police outside a nightclub in the eastern suburbs of Sydney.

Court documents showed Talia initially told police “it wasn’t mine” after he was found with a small bag of cocaine.

“From a club’s point of view, we’ve now got the facts, which we stated we were keen to unearth a couple of weeks ago,” Swans football manager Tom Harley said outside court on Thursday.

“And will now move into the next steps.

“Michael pleaded guilty and was handed down a 12-month good behaviour bond and a non-conviction.

“As a footy club, we’re obviously disappointed to be here today in support of Michael.”

Talia, speaking alongside Harley, noted he was “very disappointed” in his actions.

“I’m looking forward to learning from this experience and hopefully putting it all behind me,” Talia said.

AFL Players’ Association (AFLPA) boss Paul Marsh indicated last month he would have preferred the Swans didn’t suspend Talia until the matter had been processed in court.

Talia is almost certain to be given a strike under the league’s illicit drugs policy.

A player is given a suspended $5000 fine and must attend counselling and education programs after their first strike.

A second detection results in a four-match ban and $5000 fine, while a third strike will be punished with a 12-match suspension and $10,000 fine.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!