Gold Coast’s AFL injury curse is threatening to strike again after star midfielder David Swallow’s comeback from injury hit a snag.
Swallow was set to figure in the NAB Challenge at some stage, but the 23-year-old has now been ruled out indefinitely due to problems with his left knee.
Having complained of discomfort, Swallow underwent arthroscopic surgery in Melbourne on Tuesday which revealed his recovery from surgery last year has not progressed well.
It leaves Swallow at long odds to figure in Gold Coast’s season opener against Essendon on March 26.
He played just six games last year, having twice gone under the knife for knee surgery.
Suns general manager of football Marcus Ashcroft said an expected return date for Swallow should become clearer in the next few days.
“Our medical team will review the information and consult further,” he said.
“We will have a clearer picture regarding ongoing management later in the week.”
It is the last thing the Suns needed as they look to leave an awful 2015 season, characterised by off-field scandals and on-field injury chaos, in the past.
Swallow told AFL.com.au last month he was still feeling “grumbles” from his knee but said it would take time for him to get used to running again.
He also admitted he returned from injury too early last year in his haste to help the team.
Gold Coast is already without another key on-baller, Jaeger O’Meara (knee), who is being nursed back to full fitness and is also unlikely to figure in round one.
Star midfielder Gary Ablett also missed their NAB Challenge win over Brisbane Lions with a foot strain, after missing much of the 2015 AFL season with a shoulder injury.