SIGNIFICANT REACTIONS TOWARDS GOODES CONTROVERSY
– Richmond Tigers will wear their Dreamtime guernseys during their Friday game with Hawthorn.
– North Queensland NRL player Jonathan Thurston said he will perform an indigenous dance if he scores during upcoming games.
– Mother of teenager who racially vilified Goodes at MCG in 2013 told Fairfax Media: “I do think people shouldn’t boo him at the football, they should be trying to encourage him to be a better person than what he is.”
– Anthony Mundine said in a post on Facebook: “Furthermore I think every indigenous athlete should do a war cry dance in support of Adam Goodes for the rest of the year just like Jetta from the swans #shakealeg.”
– Alan Jones said on Sunrise: “There are 71 Indigenous players. They are in rugby league, they are in rugby union. They are everywhere. They’re playing tennis, and people don’t boo them. They’re booing Adam Goodes because they don’t like him and they don’t like his behaviour.”
– Country music star Lee Kernaghan tweeted his support: “A great Australian, proudly indigenous and one of the greatest adornments to the game of footy. With you all the way mate.”
– Beau Ryan said on Twitter: “I support Adam Goodes… When he gets the ball, I cheer!”
– Former PM Kevin Rudd said on Twitter on Wednesday: “It’s unbelievable that 7 years after the National Apology that we are seeing today this revolting example of racism against Adam.”
– Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said on Facebook: “Adam Goodes is being booed by people who have no respect for him as an Aboriginal man.” and encouraged fans to call out their friends or fans close to them who boo during games.
– Greens MP Ellen Sandell said on Twitter: “This is such a disgrace. Australia can and should do better in 2015. Adam Goodes’ resignation would be an incredibly sad chapter in race relations and AFL in Australia. We support you Adam!”
– Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young said on Twitter: “Adam Goodes is a champion. A talented footballer and wonderful role model.”