Port’s Krakouer suffers broken jaw, banned

20160315_120713.jpg
Port’s Krakouer suffers broken jaw, banned

Port Adelaide midfielder Nathan Krakouer suffered a broken jaw in a incident outside a Perth nightclub early on Saturday morning, with the AFL club suspending him from senior action until round six.

The alleged attack is now being investigated by police.

The Power’s leadership group chose to sanction Krakouer as they were unhappy that the 27-year-old had been out drinking alcohol while recovering from injury.

“Nathan is still recovering from a hamstring strain and his choice to drink alcohol while rehabilitating that injury is far from the professional standards we expect at the Port Adelaide Football Club,” said Port football manager Chris Davies.

Krakouer will train away from the main group until round two and will not be considered for senior selection until the round-six clash with Richmond at the earliest.

“There is no excuse for me to have been drinking, particularly when I’m still recovering from injury,” Krakouer said in a statement.

“I’m sorry for betraying the trust of everyone associated with the football club and will do whatever I can to contribute to achieving our goals for this season and beyond.”

Krakouer is into the second year of a second stint with Port, separated by a short and unhappy stay at Gold Coast, who he parted ways with one year into a three-year deal.

The Power threw Krakouer a lifeline by including him on their rookie list in 2015.

He played 14 senior matches last year for a career total of 67.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!