Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley says nothing is off the list management table, including contracted players being traded.
The Power are due to announce changes to their AFL list as soon as Monday, with fringe forward John Butcher among those likely to face the axe.
Hinkley said the club would be forced to make tough decisions given there had been no requests from players to be traded.
“We have to accept that the list we’ve got at the moment hasn’t been able to get where we want to go,” Hinkley said.
“We’ve got a really strong group (and) they do want to remain together as best they possibly can.
“But they understand if you have two seasons in a row where you miss the finals, the club has some responsibilities.”
Port have already parted ways with veteran forward Jay Schulz, who was last week told he would not be offered a new contract despite being keen to play on.
The same call is likely to be made on Butcher, who is out of contract and has managed just 31 games in his six seasons with the Power.
“John will be one of those that will be in the discussion, I can’t hide from that,” Hinkley said.
The Power last year sacrificed a first-round draft pick and a 2016 second-round selection to secure Gold Coast spearhead Charlie Dixon in a three-way trade with Richmond.
Dixon played 18 games this season but was hampered throughout the second half of the year with an ankle injury, finishing with 30 goals.
Hinkley says the Power will this year look to bring in young talent through the draft rather than targeting established players.
“I don’t think there’s a desperate need in one or the other area for us,” he said.
“It’s a matter of making sure we bring in some young, talented people who are quite driven to help us improve our list.”
Suspended Essendon recruits Paddy Ryder and Angus Monfries will be allowed to resume training with the Power on September 13.