Port Adelaide president David Koch is demanding answers for the AFL club’s record loss to GWS, labelling it a “disgrace”.
Koch says Port’s 86-point defeat to the Giants on Sunday undermines the buzz from the club’s China announcement.
“A disgrace. Rest assured questions are being asked & answers demanded. Undermines a historic week,” Koch tweeted.
The Power’s meek effort was rated by coach Ken Hinkley as the equal-worst of his four-year tenure.
Port on Monday dissected the defeat and midfielder Hamish Hartlett said the reaction was blunt.
“Some guys had some things on their mind which they expressed so that is all you have got to do, be super honest,” he told reporters.
Hartlett said criticism from Koch and others was warranted of Port, now with a two-two win-loss record ahead of a Saturday night meeting with Geelong.
“Kochie will ask questions to the people that he needs to,” he said.
“He hasn’t spoken to us as playing group but we know the pressure and the expectation that he has placed on us just purely for playing for this football club.
“When you play for the Port Adelaide Football Club, can’t play like you did yesterday.”
“… We need to live up to the expectations, and that is from Kochie, board members, it’s from ourselves and it’s from the guys from outside.”
Port dodged tribunal bullets, with Hartlett, Robbie Gray and Charlie Dixon offered $1000 fines for early guilty pleas to indiscretions against the Giants.
Hartlett, at a media conference before his own sanction was announced, said Gray and Dixon had been “put on notice” after their acts.
“We spoke to them in the team meeting, got shown in front of the entire group, and they were told that it wasn’t good enough,” Hartlett said.
“Big Dicko is the one that has got a bit of a fuse I think. So we have just got to keep on top of him and he has got to make sure he’s making the right decisions for the team rather than himself.”