Port hit Krakouer with AFL ban

20160315_163541.jpg
Port hit Krakouer with AFL ban

Less than a month after his AFL upgrade, Nathan Krakouer is dealing with a broken jaw, a club ban until round six and a furious Port Adelaide.

A season full of promise is suddenly in disarray for the midfielder after being hit early on Saturday morning outside a Perth nightclub.

Port have suspended Krakouer until round six.

Police are investigating the alleged incident, which happened while Krakouer was on a club-sanctioned break.

The Power’s leadership group chose to sanction Krakouer as they were unhappy the 27-year-old had been out drinking while recovering from a hamstring strain.

Krakouer will train away from the main group until round two and will not be considered for senior selection until the round-six clash with Richmond at the earliest.

“There is no excuse for me to have been drinking, particularly when I’m still recovering from injury,” Krakouer said in a statement.

“I’m sorry for betraying the trust of everyone associated with the football club and will do whatever I can to contribute to achieving our goals for this season and beyond.”

Port football manager Chris Davies said Krakouer had told them what state he was in at the time of the incident, but would not elaborate.

He added that clearly, Krakouer was out too late.

“From our perspective, one drink was enough,” Davies said.

“He hasn’t been able to live up to the standards we’ve set and the leadership group have made the decision … on the sanction he’ll now obviously have to serve.”

Port upgraded Krakouer last month from their rookie list to a senior player.

“From an onfield perspective, Nathan Krakouer is an important part of our group,” Davies said.

“But there comes a time where you take responsibility for your behaviour and that’s where he is right now.

“He’s absolutely disappointed with what he’s done.

“All we can do right now is put our arms around him and make sure, when he comes back to the club, he’s in a position where he can train to get back to potentially being a part of our team.”

Davies added that Krakouer probably would be ready physically to play again by round three.

“So this is a significant ban in the scheme of things,” he said.

“This is a situation where our professional standards … haven’t been able to be upheld.

“Of course, we’re disappointed.”

Krakouer is into the second year of a second stint with Port, separated by a short and unhappy stay at Gold Coast, with whom he parted ways one year into a three-year deal.

The Power threw Krakouer a lifeline by including him on their rookie list in 2015.

He played 14 senior matches last year for a career total of 67.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!