Pav scores the sealer as Freo beat Swans

Fremantle has overcame a major scare to beat Sydney by 14 points in their Anzac Day AFL clash at Domain Stadium.

The Dockers were on track for a big victory after opening up a 57-9 lead by halftime in front of 39,009 fans.

But seven unanswered goals from the Swans closed the margin to just three points midway through the final term, ensuring for a frantic finish.

A clutch goal from Fremantle skipper Matthew Pavlich at the 15-minute mark of the final term settled his team’s nerves.

And the 11.8 (74) to 8.12 (60) victory was complete when an intercept from Garrick Ibbotson set up Chris Mayne for the match-sealing goal with just 58 seconds remaining.

Dockers midfielder Nat Fyfe was influential with 27 possessions, eight clearances, and a goal, with his high-flying mark in the final quarter another highlight.

Pavlich shook off an early head knock to finish with three goals.

Sydney swingman Sam Reid (22 disposals, 11 marks) was influential in his side’s fightback.

Swans forward Lance Franklin booted 2.2 from 15 disposals in an intriguing battle with Luke McPharlin.

Fellow forward Isaac Heeney was subbed off in the third quarter with an ankle injury.

The win was the first time in Fremantle’s history they’ve started the season with four straight wins.

Fremantle kicked 11 unanswered goals to start last week’s western derby, and they produced yet another early dominant display against the Swans.

With Aaron Sandilands controlling the ruck battle and Fyfe tallying clearances at will, Fremantle slammed through the first three goals of the match – and it could have been five if not for two posters.

It took Sydney 22 minutes to register their first score of the night – a goal to Franklin after he took a one-handed contested mark.

But that proved to be a mere blip on Fremantle’s radar, with the lead ballooning to 48 points by half-time.

Fyfe had six clearances by the break, but Fremantle’s midfield went cold in the third term as Sydney made their charge.

The Swans won the inside-50m count 17-4 during the quarter, but their wayward return of 4.5 meant they still trailed by 20 points at the final change.

Substitute Gary Rohan closed that gap to 14 points with a goal on the burst early in the last quarter, and the margin was just three when Kurt Tippett and Jake Lloyd nailed goals.

But a 40m set shot from Pavlich proved to be decisive, with Sydney only able to score three behinds from that point on.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!