The Hawthorn AFL club has moved to quash reports that two players are being investigated for an alleged sexual offence earlier this month.
The club says Victoria Police is investigating one footballer, who is not a premiership player.
“The player involved will continue to assist police with their enquiries,” Hawthorn said in a statement on Friday night.
“No further comment will be made until the investigation is concluded.”
The statement contradicts a report on the Seven Network that said two Hawthorn players were under police investigation.
A 19-year-old woman reportedly contacted Box Hill police station regarding an incident on October 9, six days after the club’s grand final win.
The report says the woman told Victoria Police she was raped in the back of a taxi and then at a property in Ashwood, after meeting the AFL players at a bar.
Victoria Police released a statement on Friday night saying it is “investigating a report of a sexual offence that is alleged to have occurred in Ashwood on October 9”.
Hawks chief executive Stuart Fox said the club stood ready to assist police.
“I am aware of an investigation involving one player,” Fox told the Herald Sun.
“We will obviously assist Victoria Police if needed.”