EDDIE MCGUIRE’S LONG LIST OF CONTROVERSIES
* 2002 – While we’ve got the (Collingwood) army in front of us, I will declare war on the AFL today in regards to the salary cap.” – McGuire after Collingwood lost the 2002 AFL Grand Final to Brisbane, who had salary cap concessions.
* 2006 – “What are we gonna do about Jessica? When should we bone her? I reckon it should be next week.” – McGuire is alleged to have said in regards to the sacking of Jessica Rowe while he was CEO of the Nine Network. He denies using the term “bone”.
* 2010 “What about the fashion at the ice skating … They don’t leave anything in the closet either.” – McGuire during an on-air conversation with comedian Mick Molloy on the Nine Network during the 2010 Winter Olympics, before he called one competitor’s out as “a bit of Brokeback”.
* 2011 – “I’ve just a put a team together of your 17-year-olds who’ll be sick of living up in the land of the falafel in western Sydney playing in front of a 12,000-seat stadium that’s still not put up,” McGuire on GWS entering the AFL with priority draft picks.
* 2013 – Get Adam Goodes down for it do you reckon? … You know with the ape thing, the whole thing, I’m just saying the pumping him up and mucking around and all that sort of stuff.” – Days after Goodes outed a Collingwood fan for calling him an ape, McGuire made on-air comments suggesting the Swans forward could be used to promote King Kong.
* 2015 – “Personally, I don’t like to see demonstrative celebrations after a goal or anything else… Had we known before the game that Adam or the indigenous players were planning to do some sort of ‘war cry’, we could have been able to educate and understand the situation.” – McGuire enters more controversy surrounding Adam Goodes, this time hitting out at his indigenous post-goal war dance.
* 2015 – “(Victorian sports minister John Eren) is as a soccer loving Turkish born Mussie.” – McGuire at an AFL AGM. He defended the term as showing diversity, and was supported by Eren and Islamic Council of Victoria.
* 2016 – “In fact I reckon we should start the campaign for a one-person slide next year. Caroline Wilson. And I’ll put in 10 grand straight away – make it 20 and if she stays under, 50.” – McGuire on whether journalist Caroline Wilson should be pushed down the slide at next year’s Big Freeze at the MCG.