Last-minute Saints stun Melbourne

Leigh Montagna has kicked a goal with 19 seconds left in the game to propel St Kilda to a stunning two-point win over Melbourne at Etihad Stadium.

Jeremy Howe put the Demons in front with just 41 seconds remaining with the first goal of a tense final term, but Montagna ran onto a loose ball in the goal square to hand the Saints a 12.13 (85) to 12.11 (83) win.

The result extends Melbourne’s losing streak against St Kilda to 11, with the loss their 21st in a row at the Docklands venue.

Montagna was outstanding with 28 possessions, with Nick Riewoldt important with four goals and 10 marks.

Jesse Hogan enhanced his reputation as a superstar in the making with a career-best five goals for Melbourne, while Bernie Vince (38 possessions) and Nathan Jones (32) were influential.

The Saints and Demons entered round 11 in 14th and 15th positions on the ladder respectively, with identical 3-7 records, which was reflected in the tight contest.

Alan Richardson’s side led by one point as quarter-time and quickly extended that lead to a game-high margin of 24 with the first four goals of the second term.

But Hogan hit back with two goals as the Demons sliced the deficit to just six points at the main break.

The intensity of the contest lifted another notch in the third with neither side able to break the game open. Jimmy Toumpas edged Melbourne out to a two-goal lead halfway through the quarter, but Tim Membrey’s miss after the siren levelled the scores once again.

A tense final term produced plenty of errors from both sides, but St Kilda did most of the attacking without being able to land the decisive blow.

It looked like it would finally be the Demons’ day when Howe slotted a tough set shot late in the game, only for Melbourne hearts to be broken seconds later.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!