Hawthorn confident of keeping Schoenmakers

20151005_080112.jpg
Hawthorn confident of keeping Schoenmakers

Hawthorn’s AFL premiership celebrations are barely over but they’re already confident they can fend off the latest raids on their young playing talent.

Forward Ryan Schoenmakers has attracted interest from several rival clubs, including the Sydney Swans, but Hawthorn football director Chris Fagan has told Fairfax Media they believe he will remain with the Hawks.

“I am sure a lot of people will express interest after yesterday,” Hagan said.

“He could have left last year and he didn’t because he wanted to stay and be part of something special, so he got to do that and he is a pretty loyal bloke. I should imagine we will get something sorted out.”

The 24-year-old kicked 15 goals in 16 games this year and saved his best for the big show, taking nine marks against West Coast on Saturday.

His meteoric improvement this year now makes him a key part in Hawthorn’s puzzle moving forward as the premiers look to manage their ageing roster.

“One of the things we have to make sure we do is when our younger guys are coming into next pre-season they feel like there might be some opportunities there,” Hagan added.

“That’s why we have to look hard at the older guys on our list and make decisions about their futures.

“Our cap for next year is pretty tight so we have to work all that out.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!