Giants claim first AFL win against Crows

As far as expectations go, Greater Western Sydney coach Leon Cameron’s have already been exceeded this AFL season.

But the Giants’ emphatic defeat of bogey team Adelaide and a new top-four placing now takes the cake.

The Giants prevailed 16.12 (108) to 12.12 (84) over the Crows in a thrilling encounter at Spotless Stadium on Saturday, as their relentless midfield held off the usual impact of livewires Taylor Walker (four goals) and Eddie Betts (three goals).

After their upset win against Hawthorn two weeks ago, the home side finally turned the tables on the South Australian outfit that has thrashed them by an average of 87 points in the five meetings to date.

It makes it three on the trot for the Giants – the club’s biggest winning streak in its short history – who continue their blazing run towards an inaugural AFL finals campaign.

Cameron said the league’s newest team had so far outdone his predictions for 2015.

“I’d be lying to say it didn’t,” he said.

“When you’re sitting at eight rounds and you’re six and two, yeah you take it any day of the week.

“If someone said at the start of the year you’re going to be six and two I’d be rapped.

“But we acknowledge we’re playing some good footy, we’ve played some good opposition and we’re starting to believe that we can compete against most sides.”

And compete they did.

In-form forward Cam McCarthy (four goals) kicked off the onslaught as the Giants scored five goals in the first 14 minutes to bounce to a 34-point lead.

The Crows looked shell-shocked as their rudderless defence fell short against the flair of Toby Greene, Tom Scully and the sparky Dylan Shiel (34 disposals), who kicked one major and ran off on the odd breakaway.

Adelaide finally managed a shot on goal in the 16th minute; a free-kick which Walker struck perfectly.

But Tomas Bugg responded, notching his first major of the season to help the Giants to their highest first-term score of 40.

Adelaide steadied the ship, though their depth was sorely tested in the absence of Matthew Jaensch (knee) and halfback Brodie Smith (concussion) among others.

Their stocks took a further hit when Rory Laird was stretchered off with a concussion in the third quarter after a bad head clash with teammate Jake Lever, while Luke Brown also took a worrying hit and Sam Kerridge went off with an ankle injury.

And even a promising rally in the final period couldn’t produce the right result for the visiting side.

“We showed something in the last quarter, but GWS may have put the cue in the rack then,” Adelaide coach Phil Walsh said.

“At least it was something for the fans who hadn’t turned off the telly back in Adelaide.”

Greene also kicked three goals while Jeremy Cameron continued his solid form up front, slotting two to take his tally for the last three games to 14.

But the 22-year-old was also put on report during the first term for forceful front-on contact with Kyle Cheney.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!