Essendon deny they have offered AFL premiership coach John Worsfold a five-year deal.
Former St Kilda great Nathan Burke on Wednesday was the latest commentator to speculate that the Bombers have put an offer to Worsfold, who is currently the interim coaching director at Adelaide.
Essendon sent a delegation to Adelaide earlier this month to meet with Worsfold as the club searches for a new senior coach.
The rampant speculation about a five-year offer prompted the Bombers to emphatically deny they had put anything to any candidate.
Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell said in a club statement that they had met with a number of high-quality candidates and that is ongoing.
But he added the club had not reached a decision.
“We said from the outset that in order to respect the confidentiality and integrity of the selection process we wouldn’t provide a running commentary,” Campbell said.
“But the (coaching) sub-committee felt it was necessary to provide an update in light of ongoing media speculation which is incorrect and misinformed.
“There has been no offer tabled, informally or formally, to any candidate for the senior coaching position at the club.”
Worsfold coached West Coast to their last AFL premiership in 2006 and left the club at the end of the 2013 season.
As recently as late last month, Worsfold said he was not interested in a return to senior coaching.
But he then revealed his view had softened, immediately ramping up speculation he would take over next season at Essendon or Adelaide.
Also on Wednesday, Campbell said Essendon were roughly midway through their selection process.
Essendon expect to name their new coach in October.
The club and James Hird parted ways last month, with assistant Matthew Egan taking over for the last three rounds of the season.