Dockers thump Demons to seal AFL top spot

Fremantle finally have some silverware to put in their trophy cabinet after locking up the minor premiership with a 54-point demolition of Melbourne in Sunday’s AFL clash at Domain Stadium.

The Dockers booted the first 10 goals of the match to secure the 17.6 (108) to 8.6 (54) win, with the result giving them an unassailable lead at the top of the table with one round to play.

Fremantle have the option to rest the bulk of their best 22 for next week’s dead rubber against the Power in Adelaide, before gearing up for a home qualifying final.

Melbourne have lost 16 consecutive matches at Domain Stadium, with their last victory at the Perth venue coming in 2004 when David Neitz and Adam Yze were still in the prime of their careers.

On a horrible day for the Demons, milestone man Nathan Jones suffered a game-ending ankle injury during the opening moments of the second quarter.

Jones, playing his 200th match, was helped off by trainers after rolling his left ankle in an innocuous incident as he ran beside David Mundy.

The Demons’ skipper, who was put in a moon boot and forced to use crutches, had earlier copped a heavy head knock as he competed for the ball against Dockers defender Zac Dawson.

Fremantle also suffered an injury blow, with defender Cameron Sutcliffe dislocating his shoulder in the final quarter.

The Dockers entered the match having not reached the 100-point mark since their round-eight win over North Melbourne.

But they reached triple figures against the Demons when Lachie Neale nailed a goal late in the final quarter.

Fremantle suffered a late blow when goalsneak Michael Walters was ruled out because of calf soreness.

But his absence was barely felt as the Dockers went on a goal blitz that left Melbourne for dead.

The scoreboard read 62-2 before goalsneak Jeff Garlett marked in the forward pocket to give the Demons their first goal of the match at the 16-minute mark of the second quarter.

But they never truly threatened to topple the Dockers, with Melbourne players failing to heed the pleas of their coach Paul Roos to play “angry”.

Dockers skipper Matthew Pavlich booted three goals from 20 disposals before being subbed out in the third quarter to avoid injury.

Danyle Pearce (three goals), Mundy and Lachie Neale also played key roles in the win.

Fremantle are still yet to taste premiership success.

But they are guaranteed at least one piece of silverware this year – the McClelland Trophy for finishing in first spot after the home-and-away season.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!