Carlton list manager Steve Silvagni admits Charlie Curnow’s arrest has forced them to reassess the teenager ahead of the AFL draft.
But Silvagni has defended the highly-rated midfielder, saying last week’s incident was out of character.
Curnow was arrested early last Friday morning in Geelong for allegedly being drunk in a public place and refusing a breath test.
His management called it a moment of panic and he quickly apologised.
It is a monumental case of bad timing, given Curnow is rated as a first-round pick for Tuesday night’s draft in Adelaide.
Despite his arrest, a club will probably still recruit him around picks eight to 14.
His older brother Ed plays at Carlton and there is a chance he could join him there.
Asked if recruiters had to speak to Curnow again in the wake of the arrest, Silvagni said: “Clubs would – I know we have.
“There’s no doubt he’d be going through some emotional stuff that probably doesn’t sit well with him.
“He comes from a really good family (and) it’s out of character, what’s happened.
“But having said that, there are obviously consequences with what he’s done.”
AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said clubs who had Curnow on their draft radars would definitely have done extra research in the last few days.
“They’ll dig a bit deeper – clubs will do that,” Sheehan said.
“They’re thorough (and) they’ll go to the ‘nth’ degree to find out all of the information.
“They have a ‘no surprises’ approach.”
Like Silvagni, Sheehan talked up Curnow as a potential AFL recruit.
“Charlie had come off a terrific draft combine where he really did work hard and presented himself just a month ago in great physical condition,” Sheehan said.
“He’s an exciting potential player, one who plays a tall forward … but he could even push into the midfield.
“We’re excited about his footy future, but he still has to address the current issue.”