Bulldogs veteran Boyd’s AFL future unclear

20160912_153019.jpg
Bulldogs veteran Boyd’s AFL future unclear

Western Bulldogs veteran Matthew Boyd insists he won’t address his playing future until after the AFL finals.

There are reports the 34-year-old last month verbally agreed to a one-year extension, only for the Bulldogs to withdraw the offer the following week.

Boyd on Monday declined to comment, saying his focus was solely on the Bulldogs’ AFL semi-final clash with Hawthorn on Friday.

“A lot of people talk about their future post-season and I’m no different in that respect,” he said.

“I’ve maintained along the journey this year that it’s about me putting my best foot forward for the team and to make sure that my performance is up to a standard that helps the team perform at its optimal level.

“For me, that’s the end of it.”

Boyd’s chances of earning a new deal may have been boosted by his surprise selection in this year’s All-Australian team alongside young Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli.

Evergreen veterans Bob Murphy and Dale Morris have each secured one-year deals but Boyd said he wouldn’t focus on whether Friday’s game might be his last.

“I think you can go into any game thinking that,” he said.

“Things can happen. You can get injured, you can do a whole heap of things.

“I’m not really prepared to talk about personal circumstances when we’ve got such a great opportunity as a team.”

Boyd is the oldest of half a dozen unsigned Bulldogs who have made regular appearances this season.

Midfielder Lin Jong, who broke his collarbone in the Bulldogs’ elimination final win over West Coast, has been linked to Gold Coast and Collingwood.

Others yet to sign include on-baller Koby Stevens, injury-prone midfielder Clay Smith and out-of-favour ruckman Will Minson.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!