AFL player Jaensch settles court case

20160301_175221.jpg
AFL player Jaensch settles court case

Recently-retired AFL player Matthew Jaensch has settled a civil court case against a man who broke his jaw at an Adelaide pub.

Jaensch last week announced his retirement from the AFL in a sudden decision which shocked his club Adelaide.

On Tuesday, the club released a statement saying the 26-year-old had reached a confidential resolution in his civil claim against a man who struck him at an Adelaide hotel in September 2011, breaking his jaw.

It had previously been reported that Jaensch was seeking $30,000 in damages.

Court documents said the man who hit Jaensch, Andrew Bird, said the footballer’s “intoxication, aggression and sexual assault of a young woman led to the injuries … the plaintiff was the aggressor.”

The matter was before the courts again on Tuesday but Jaensch, who quit the AFL while recovering from a knee reconstruction, wasn’t required to attend, the statement released by the Crows said.

Jaensch maintained he was victim of an unprovoked attack, the statement said.

“During this lengthy matter, I have also been accused of indecent assault which I emphatically deny and in fact I have never been approached by police,” Jaensch said in the statement.

“I found the unsubstantiated allegations of an indecent assault offensive.”

Jaensch, who made his AFL debut in 2010, played 74 games for the Crows.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!