Tuesday is D-Day for the 34 past and present Essendon players involved in the club’s long-running supplements saga, with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to hand down its findings.
The World Anti-Doping Agency appealed to CAS after the AFL anti-doping tribunal found in March last year that there was insufficient evidence to find the players guilty of doping offences arising from the club’s 2012 supplements program.
CAS hearings were held in Sydney last November and the Bombers confirmed on Saturday that the appeal verdict would be handed down on Tuesday morning.
“Essendon Football Club can confirm the 34 players, past and present, have been advised that a decision from the Court of Arbitration for Sport will be handed down on the morning of Tuesday January 12,” a brief statement on the club’s website read.
CAS announced in December that a verdict would be made public in the week starting Monday January 11 after mounting speculation that the players would know their fates before Christmas.
John Worsfold spoke to reporters on Friday and said that the club was ready for whatever outcome transpires.
“All that’s totally out of our control certainly out of my control so everything for me is business as usual and then the club has contingencies in plan around any decision that’s handed down,” he said.
“We’re pretty much just tracking along preparing for the season.
“The club’s got things in place. We’ve got people around the club who have constantly kept the players informed and talked to them and will be on hand next week as well.”
Worsfold replaced James Hird as senior coach in October after he resigned in a bid to allow the club to move on from the saga.