Wawrinka unhappy with Kyrgios apology

Stan Wawrinka has accused Australian bad boy Nick Kyrgios of failing to properly apologise for his lurid outburst towards the Swiss star after struggling into the third round of the ATP Cincinnati Masters event on Wednesday.

Kyrgios made worldwide headlines last week after crude remarks concerning Wawrinka’s reported girlfriend, teenager Donna Vekic, during a match against the Swiss ace in Montreal.

World No.5 Wawrinka admitted the controversy was still on his mind on Wednesday after fighting back from a set down to defeat Croatia’s Borna Coric 3-6 7-6 (7/3) 6-3.

“We still talk a lot about it (the controversy) for sure it’s quite fresh,” said the father of one.

Kyrgios, who was fined $US10,000 ($A13,600) by the ATP for his courtside sledge, later issued a statement apologising for his remarks, insisting they were made “in the heat of the moment.”

Kyrgios apologised on social media and to Wawrinka in the locker room after their match, but Wawrinka said Kyrgios’s apology didn’t go far enough.

“He didn’t really apologise to the people. He should. That’s it. That simple,” Wawrinka said.

Wawrinka, who is divorcing his wife of more than decade, insisted however that the ugly controversy would not derail his preparations for the US Open.

“I know how myself, I know how I get ready for a grand slam. I know how I deal with everything. I’m sure I’m going to be ready for US Open,” said the double Grand Slam winner.

“It was really important to win this match today. It was not the way I played on the court but the way I fight with little energy that I have. That’s the most important.

“For sure I was struggling today to be completely on the court and to fight the way I wanted. It’s been some tough days for some people, and it’s always difficult to completely focus on the tennis court.”

Kyrgios triggered widespread revulsion for his on-court taunt to Wawrinka that fellow Aussie Thanasi Kokkinakis had had a fling with WTA professional Vekic.

Vekic, 19, finally made her own response after being dropped into the controversy. “It’s not easy but I’m trying to focus on tennis and my next match,” she told The Province newspaper in Vancouver.

“I haven’t spoken to Kyrgios. But it’s a very disappointing thing to be happening in our sport and I hope it won’t happen again because it’s not a very good image for our sport.”

The ATP is expected to announce later on Wednesday whether Kyrgios will face further sanction for his crude on-court sledge on Wawrinka.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!