Striker Simeon Jackson is “hungry” to show new Norwich manager Chris Hughton he has what it takes to deliver goals in the Barclays Premier League.
Jackson was instrumental in helping the Canaries secure promotion to the top flight, but found his chances last season limited to 10 starts in 22 league appearances, netting only three times.
However, after ending the campaign on target against Aston Villa, the Canada international intends to hit the ground running when the squad return for pre-season training on July 9 under Hughton, who replaced Paul Lambert after he moved to Villa Park.
Speaking to Canada’s Red Nation on-line podcast, Jackson said: “For me personally and all the players it is the same – you want to come into pre-season showing you are fit and hungry and ready.
“You know you are going out there to do your best for the first game of the season.
“The manager will bring new ideas, but the mindset is still the same. I am looking forward to seeing his plans and fitting in.”
Jackson was away on international duty when the news broke of Lambert’s departure following three successful seasons at the helm, which included back-to-back promotions from npower League One.
The Norwich striker will always be grateful for the Scotsman’s faith after signing him from Gillingham in the summer of 2010.
Now, though, Jackson has his sights firmly on making his mark in the Premier League for Hughton’s new-look Canaries.
“He [Lambert] definitely pushed me and I think I have developed a lot under him. Now I just need to take that forward,” Jackson said.
“For me, it’s about starting again with a fresh season and a fresh manager.
“It is about showing him what I can do and playing as much as I can for the club and doing well.”
Jackson added: “The Premier League is a different beast. It is a high, demanding level.
“Maybe I wasn’t ready for that when Norwich came in for me originally.
“I had to earn my stripes and learn the game a bit more in the Championship, but now I feel I am ready and capable of proving myself at this level.”
“I am at the stage where I have to go again. There is definitely much more to come from me.”
Hughton has returned to Norfolk following a family break in Florida, and will look to resolve the future of captain Grant Holt sooner rather than later.
The 31-year-old, who scored 15 goals to help keep the Canaries in the Barclays Premier League, handed in a transfer request at the end of the season, which was rejected by the club, who are reported to have knocked back several bids from newly-promoted West Ham.
Before he went away Hughton is understood to have talked on the phone with Holt, having stated after being installed as the new Norwich manager his “main priority” was to keep the striker at Carrow Road.
Holt is reported to want security of an extra year to his current deal and his representative revealed they will make a decision after more face-to-face talks with Hughton and chief executive David McNally.
Earlier this week, goalkeeper John Ruddy joined versatile Scotland defender Russell Martin and midfielder Andrew Surman in penning fresh terms, so the Carrow Road board could now be open to a similar move to retain Holt, who was leading scorer in each of the past three seasons.
Hughton has yet to make any signings since his appointment, but could be set to raid former club Newcastle for striker Leon Best, and has also been linked with a swoop for Birmingham trio Chris Burke, Jack Butland and Curtis Davies.