Walters: No worries over Holmes incident

Queensland State of Origin coach Kevin Walters says he has no concerns over the conduct of rising Cronulla star Valentine Holmes despite his involvement in another off-field altercation.

Holmes – one of eight emerging Maroons players banned from this year’s Origin series – found himself back in the news this week for an incident, albeit not one of his making, also involving Sharks teammate Jack Bird on Sunday night at the Coogee Pavilion.

The details remain unclear, with unconfirmed reports that Holmes was the victim of an unprovoked attack, but both players have been cleared by Cronulla and by police of any wrongdoing.

It comes little more than a month after Holmes had been sanctioned for breaking a curfew set by Walters at a camp in January in Brisbane.

The Sharks’ winger was allegedly involved in a scuffle after cutting to the front of the taxi queue in Fortitude Valley, and was issued with an infringement notice for obstructing police and public nuisance.

Walters says he isn’t worried about the way Holmes carries himself or the possibility of any further transgressions in future.

“I’ve had some conversations with him,” Walters told AAP.

“Valentine’s a good young kid. He just found himself in a bit of hot water.

“But we’ve all stepped over the line sometimes.

“I’m sure his character and personality will fall into line. I’ve got plenty of time for him.”

Walters said he remained in constant contact with the eight banned players.

“We’re not going to stick them in the corner and not feed them or not give them anything to drink – we’re going to look after them,” he said.

“They’re part of the Queensland family and we want to make sure that continues despite what happened earlier.

“We’re all going to move on and be men about it and get on with the job at hand.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!