Toovey puts on brave face on sacking

Manly coach Geoff Toovey has put a brave face on his sacking, warning NRL rivals his team is still a finals threat this season.

Club legend Toovey was told on Tuesday his contract would be terminated after this season and he will be paid out for the remaining year of his deal, when Trent Barrett is set to take over.

“I’m very disappointed that my coaching career has ended… The decision has been made and I just have to accept that,” Toovey told reporters on Wednesday.

“It’s still not over yet. We’re still in it with a chance and if you saw how the players played last week you’d be well and truly worried if you were the teams above us.”

Toovey admitted changes to his contract had been in discussion for several months and the team’s poor performance created a “perfect storm” which led to his axing.

However, Toovey believes the speculation surrounding his future didn’t impact the Sea Eagles on the field and they’re all committed to making a bold run to the finals over the last six games of the regular season.

“It’s always hard but I think if anyone knows the Manly team we thrive in adversity,” he said.

The Sea Eagles are 11th on the table – two wins outside the top eight – following a powerful victory over the Warriors in Auckland last Saturday, but face a tough run home with games against Brisbane, South Sydney, Canberra, Parramatta, Sydney Roosters and Cronulla.

Toovey wouldn’t comment on whether or not he would be looking to coach another team in the future.

“I need a bit of a break. I’ve had a week off in the last four years so I need to take some time.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!