Martin Taupau’s manager, Wests Tigers and Manly are all refusing to comment over an email mix-up that appears to confirm Kiwi NRL star is moving to the Sea Eagles.
A Canadian theatre critic set the NRL world in a spin on Friday when he revealed on Twitter he’d been emailed a contract between blockbusting Tigers forward Taupau and Manly.
James Kelleher Nestruck, who goes by the name of J.Kelly Nestruck, bears the same first initial and surname as Manly chief executive Joe Kelly on his email address.
Nestruck said the documents were sent to him in error by a British notary public.
The emails appear to confirm the unsettled Taupau’s release from the Tigers, where he was signed until the end of 2016, and a four-year deal struck with Manly.
Taupau’s player agent Darryl Mather, described news of Nestruck’s revelation as “extraordinarily frustrating”, but he was leaving further comment to the two clubs.
“I’ll allow both the Wests Tigers and Martin Taupau to make any official comment they might want to make on this matter,” Mather told AAP.
“I’ll be guided by Phil Moss (Tigers football manager) and the Wests Tigers on the matter.”
Both clubs declined to comment, saying they were looking ino the matter.
Taupau had been linked to the Sea Eagles, with Manly looking to add another forward to their rebuilt pack alongside Nate Myles, Lewis Brown, Darcy Lussick and Matt Parcell who they have already signed for next season.
The Tigers are also known to be attempting to fix their dire salary cap situation, following on from the attempted release of Robbie Farah in August.
The 25-year-old Taupau is in the UK touring with the New Zealand side who face England in Hull on Sunday.