Former NSW State of Origin five-eighth Jamie Soward says he’s not going anywhere, with the playmaker dismissing speculation he is set to walk out on Penrith.
In his first interview since Ivan Cleary’s sacking, Soward has told News Corp Australia he has no problem with the controversial NRL coaching change, saying he will be turn up on Tuesday to begin his first pre-season under new mentor Anthony Griffin.
The 31-year-old Soward had been linked to Canterbury, via an apparent coaching-change get-out clause in his four-year contract.
“Absolutely not – I will be reporting to training this week and I am looking forward to having my biggest ever pre-season. I don’t know where all these rumours start but I can put that one to bed and tell you I am contracted for 2016 and 2017 and I will be fulfilling that contract,” Soward told News Corp.
The No.6 admitted he had not spoken with Griffin and would meet the former Brisbane coach on Sunday for the first time.
Soward said he had discussed the appointment with Panthers boss Phil Gould and was fully supportive of the surprise top-down-change.
“I have heard a lot about him. And I have spoken to Gus about him. But I have never actually talked to him. He is coming in with a job to do and I will be supportive of that. He will have his own culture and own way off doing things and all the guys, including myself, are looking forward to it.”