No one saw last year’s Suncorp Stadium massacre coming.
Certainly not a shellshocked Laurie Daley.
But former Queensland fullback Robbie O’Davis reckons all the signs are there for a repeat of the Maroons’ record 52-6 demolition ahead of State of Origin II clash in Brisbane.
A member of Queensland’s most unlikely 1995 winning team, O’Davis said an almost identical Maroons team will provide almost the same scoreline to seal a 10th series victory in 11 years on Wednesday night.
Only Justin Hodges, Will Chambers and Nate Myles are missing from the Queensland side that savoured the 2015 game-three romp.
“This is ‘The Cauldron’, where the great Origin memories are made – they (NSW) are going to get flogged,” O’Davis told AAP.
“They will win by a million again.
“Last game last year when they dominated, what has happened between then and now to the Queensland team?
“Pretty much nothing. It’s pretty much the same guys running around, it’s the same guys with the ball in their hands.
Living in NSW, O’Davis reckons he has enjoyed a rare insight into how the Blues have approached their must win game.
And Blues fans won’t like what he sees.
He said instead of blaming the referees, NSW should obey a golden rule – don’t get beaten at home.
“I still live in NSW and the way they perceive the game is that they got ripped off because Josh Morris’s try was disallowed,” he said.
“It definitely wasn’t a try.
“Living down there you see how they are trying to do something to cause a distraction.
“The simple fact is this: when someone comes to your home territory you just don’t get beat.
“That’s what makes Queensland great.”