Qld to call Hasler about Mbye call-up

Wary of another Des Hasler blow-up, Queensland coach Kevin Walters will call the NRL mentor before deciding whether to name Bulldogs playmaker Moses Mbye as a shadow player for next week’s State of Origin III in Sydney.

Walters said Mbye or Manly’s Daly Cherry-Evans would be considered as a “Plan B” if veteran prop Nate Myles failed to overcome a knee complaint for July 13’s game three in Sydney.

Myles was named in Walters’ 17 on Monday along with debutant backrower Gavin Cooper.

Walters was confident of Myles proving his fitness but admitted they would need to name a shadow player in the coming days to ensure they did not put the likes of Hasler off side.

Hasler launched a stinging attack after he was forced to pick a player less than 24 hours after they completed a NSW Cup game when Josh Morris was a last minute Blues call-up for Origin I.

The Canterbury coach claimed the NRL played second fiddle to Origin after Reimis Smith answered a last-gasp SOS when Morris replaced Josh Dugan in the Blues camp in May.

To avoid a repeat, Walters said he would contact Hasler to ensure he was not stepping on toes in the lead-up to top four outfit the Bulldogs’ NRL clash with Wests Tigers on Saturday night.

“We will give Des a ring,” Walters said.

“He has his heart set on the Bulldogs and we respect that.

“We don’t want to interfere with the clubs.

“But if Moses or whoever comes into the side they have a great opportunity to work with some of the best players in the world.

“We will cross that bridge when we get to it.”

Walters admitted using a bench utility had been a “game changer” for Queensland in their successful past.

But Walters claimed his preference was to unleash an all forwards interchange at ANZ Stadium in a bid to seal a fifth series whitewash.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!