Veteran Manly centre Steve Matai has reportedly had his mobile phone seized as police investigate allegations of match-fixing in the NRL.
Seven Network and Fairfax Media both reported on Friday that Matai’s phone had been taken by police.
Comment was being sought from Matai.
NSW police have ramped up their probe this week, establishing Strike Force Nuralda, with detectives expected to interview dozens of players, officials and others as they work in conjunction with the NSW Crime Commission.
Initial reports had suspicions raised over three matches involving Manly, one against South Sydney and another against Parramatta last year and a clash with Parramatta this year.
However News Corp Australia reported that the strike force had now asked betting agencies to reveal every gambling transaction on every market for Sea Eagles games in 2015 and 2016.
Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn has claimed Manly is a victim of “guilt by innuendo”, revealing the club had yet to be contacted by police.
“We are concerned about the way in which the club brand has been tarnished by speculation,” Penn said.
“It is guilt by innuendo.
“We have reached out to (the police) and literally had one conversation and they said we will get back to you when we are ready.”
Fairfax Media also reported that corporate bookmaker Ladbrokes rejected a $30,000 deposit into former Manly and Parramatta playmaker Kieran Foran’s betting account this year.
It’s reported that the organisation had grown concerned about the negative publicity regarding Foran’s gambling habits, and believed the deposit was out of character for the then Eels’ captain’s account.