Origin recall a long way off, says McGuire

It hasn’t taken long for the calls to resume for Josh McGuire to get a State of Origin nod following the Brisbane prop’s return from a serious injury.

The 26-year-old missed the Broncos charge to last year’s grand final after his season was ended in June with a ruptured Achilles tendon.

Despite that disappointment, McGuire has slotted straight back into the Broncos pack in 2016 like he’d never left.

Former teammate Ash Taylor commented after last weekend’s win over Gold Coast at Robina about the strength of McGuire’s runs – something which has been a key asset to the Broncos’ fine start to the year.

McGuire is among the leading ball-runners in the competition, averaging 18 hit-ups and over 150 running metres per game.

Inevitably it has led to speculation the 180cm big bopper will be given the nod by Maroons coach Kevin Walters for this year’s Origin series.

Like so many before him in that position however, McGuire is talking down any discussion of an Origin call-up.

“It’s a great opportunity but it’s a long, long way away,” he said.

“We’ve still got four more games before that’s picked.”

McGuire’s primary concern is maintaining Brisbane’s start to the year against St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium this Thursday.

The Dragons are coming off the back of a 36-0 humiliation by North Queensland in Townsville but McGuire doesn’t think that result reflects the real status of the men in the Red V.

“They beat the Rabbitohs, who have got a star forward pack,” McGuire said.

“I wouldn’t take anything out of last week. I think they’ll just put a line through it and start again on Thursday night.

“I’m sure they’re going to be fired up and I’m excited about the big game.”

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!