NSW Origin preparations in disarray

NSW coach Laurie Daley’s preparations for the State of Origin decider have been thrown into disarray with two players facing sanctions over separate incidents on Saturday.

On the same day game two hero Michael Jennings was charged by NSW Police with offensive behaviour and hindering police, forward Josh Jackson was put on report for a lifting tackle in Canterbury’s NRL win over Penrith.

Bulldogs coach Des Hasler conceded Jackson is likely to attract a suspension after he and Greg Eastwood dumped Panthers five-eighth Jamie Soward on his head in a fiery first half on Saturday night.

“There’ll be an issue with the tackle and the way it’s interpreted these days,” Hasler said.

“We’ll have a look at it later, but I think the legs went past the horizontal. So there’s grade one.

“We’ll have to wait and see, but his record’s pretty good, Jacko.

“Let’s hope a grade one will suffice in this instance.”

Jackson, who made his Origin debut in Game I, argued there was no malice in the tackle but conceded his fate for the decider is now out of his control.

He also has 67 carry-over points to his name.

“It’s just one of those things, it happens in the game,” Jackson said.

“Obviously there was no intent there but it happens. It’s in the hands of the match review committee now.”

Asked if he feared missing Origin, he said: “Yeah. You don’t want to miss any games. I don’t want to miss a game for the Bulldogs. Obviously you don’t want to miss an Origin game.”

Soward said after the game he felt “out of control” but hoped the incident wouldn’t cost Jackson a chance to help seal a series win for NSW.

“I couldn’t do anything. He’s got good technique. I’m sure the review panel will look at it,” he said.

“As far as I’m concerned, I don’t want him to miss an Origin for it. But it’s out of my control.”

Daley said he will wait on a full report on the Jennings incident before making a decision on whether to select him for Brisbane.

“Until I receive all the facts and all the relevant information, I won’t be saying anything,” he said.

Sydney Roosters CEO Brian Canavan confirmed the charge with AAP, and said the matter had been reported to the NRL integrity unit on Saturday morning.

* All Offers and Promotions posted in this article excludes NSW residents.
Stay up to date with the latest sports news
Follow our social accounts to get exclusive content and all the latest sporting news!